ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting on Texas and Pierce

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I was pretty sure Tulane would not lose David Pierce to Texas because I had been told (correctly) the Longhorns were convinced they needed a coach who had gone to the College Worlds Series and competed for national championships. My source was right, but after Texas struck out on at least six and possibly eight candidates (Mainieri, Schlossnagle, Florida, Virginia, Louisville, Oregon State, UCLA at the minimum), Pierce is back in the picture, as others have reported.

At this point, the smart choice would be Pierce, but I still have a feeling he won't get the offer. Houston's Todd Whitting reportedly was interviewed as well as Pierce, and Whitting won a super regional in Baton Rouge two years ago before losing in three to Texas in a super regional. He also is nine years younger than Pierce. There is some bad blood between Tulane and Houston as baseball programs, making this situation even more interesting.

Oklahoma State coach Josh Holliday, who is pursuing a national championship in the CWS, could still emerge as a viable candidate, too.

If Pierce gets the offer, I can't imagine him turning it down, but nothing is ever certain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News