ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Thursday, Sept. 19

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Tulane made it official today that the planned site for the bubble on the field next to the Reily Center is dead.

"After site inspections for the indoor practice facility, we determined that Brown field wasn't a suitable location due to several factors," AD David Harris tweeted. "We are committed to completing the project. When details are finalized, we will share more information. Thanks for your support & patience."

The overwhelming frontrunner for the IPF now is the Claiborne parking lot. It would create logistical parking issues on campus but is the most logical spot (and maybe only possibility) remaining and would allow them to do more than just a half-ass bubble. This one would allow them to have a roof, although the cost and length of time to construct it could be an issue. I was never thrilled with the plans for the bubble by Reily, but it beat having nothing. They definitely need to finalize plans and proceed with an IPF ASAP.

When Angelo Anderson registered his first sack since 2022 against Oklahoma on an inside move when no one picked him up until he hit the quarterback, I thought he might be ready to make a real contribution to the team this year. It turns out it was the last play he would ever make for the team. I noticed he was not there today, so I asked Jon Sumrall what happened to him. His answer:

"He left the team for personal reasons. That's my statement on it. He made a personal decision. I talked to him, gave him information and he decided to leave for personal reasons."

Anderson was one of the highest-rated New Orleans recruit Willie Fritz signed in his eight classes (he had offers from Arkansas, Tennessee and Houston among others) --and Anderson talked at the time about leading a new breed of top players who wanted to stay in New Orleans and play big-time college football. He never lived up to those ratings, though, playing sparingly as a true freshman before starting in the Idaho Potato Bowl against Nevada because starting rush end Patrick Johnson opted out. His stats were decent in that game (four tackles, one for loss), but he did not play particularly well, and he did not progress in 2021, playing in 10 games with four tackles and a sack. His best year was 2022, when he started eight games, but he was not a difference-maker, finishing with 17 tackles. He went back to the bench last year, starting zero games and making 14 tackles with no sacks, and he was not starting this season, playing behind Adin Huntington and Gerrod Henderson at end. That sack on Saturday was his only tackle of the year.

Sumrall said Jacob Barnes was doubtful to play against UL and Patrick Durkin was questionable, so Ethan Head likely will handle all of the kickoffs and placekicks against the Cajuns. He was not consistent in the preseason, but he never did anything like the extra point that went under the cross bar against Oklahoma on his first attempt. Fingers will be crossed if he has to kick a significant field goal, but he is capable and has a strong leg.

Lu Tillery has moved up the depth chart at cornerback. I would not be shocked if he starts Saturday. He has received some first-team reps this week, although I still expect Micah Robinson and Johnathan Edwards to start with Rayshawn Pleasant right behind them. It's a four-player rotation at the moment. It's also possible Jack Tchienchou will start at free safety instead of Jalen Geiger. The starting bandit likely will remain Terrell Allen, but that is a wide-open spot with Allen, Javion Carter and Michael Lunz getting the most time there.

I will add quotes from yesterday later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.