ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane RPI is 39 after Houston series

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
After looking like it had a shot to be the top RPI team in the AAC with a sweep of Houston, Tulane lost the last two games and dropped back down to 39.

If the season ended today, I don't think Tulane would get in the NCAA field, but the season didn't end today. Tulane has now lost 4 of 6 series in the league, so winning the last two against USF at home and Memphis on the road is imperative. The Wave matches up better with both of them than Houston, which has two terrific starting pitchers who toyed with Tulane's light bats.

Here are the RPIs for the rest of the AAC teams:

Houston 21
South Florida 29
East Carolina 44
Connecticut 46
UCF 52
Memphis 57
Cincinnati 161

I think Houston is a close to lock for a bid now. Everyone else is jockeying for a spot, although Memphis was really hurt by losing two of three at home to Cincy.

With the AAC still ranking third overall among conferences, it is likely the league will get four teams in regionals. My guess is Tulane would be fourth or fifth in the pecking order right now behind Houston, South Florida, East Carolina, but it's very close after Houston. I still think Tulane needs to win the next two series to be comfortable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News