ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane post-spring depth chart

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I just got this from Tulane.

I confirmed Rickey Preston is no longer on the team, but at least Devon Breaux is returning at WR. I'm surprised Trey Scott is nowhere on the depth chart at WR, but he is still on the team.

Tristan Cooper, who did not play a down at receiver in the spring, is listed as the starter at one of the three wideout spots, which tells you all you need to know about the receivers' performance in the spring. He has been moved from safety.

As expected, Cuiellette and Bradwell are listed as co-number 1 at QB. Neither one of them earned the nod as a starter the way they played in the spring.

If you were wondering how this staff would treat the overweight players, here is the first clue: Jason Stewart is not on the two-deep at guard, getting replaced by Brian Webb, who was moved from DT near the end of spring and barely practiced there due to an injury. Braynon Edwards does not appear on the two-deep at DT.

Tulane is going with the nickel position rather than a third LB on the depth chart. Richard Allen is listed first, with Taris Shenall behind him.

Quinlan Carroll gets the not at DE over Daren Williams, who was injured for much of the spring.

They aren't shy about putting true freshmen on the depth chart, meaning they are not giving away spots by default just because a guy practiced with the second team during the spring. Chris Johnson and Darnell Mooney make the list at WR, Tyler Johnson gets there at RT, and Tre Jackson and P.J. Hall crack the list at CB ahead of returning players Dedrick Shy, Stephon Lofton and Jeremie Francis. The status of that trio bears watching over the summer.

My only problem with the whole list: the two punt returners. Hilliard and Nickerson are not good enough in that role to risk injury. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I would not put incredibly valuable front-line guys back there unless they were difference-makers as returners. It will be interesting to see if this holds in the preseason.

HERE IS THE OFFICIAL DEPHT CHART

OFFENSE

WR (X)

Encalade
Chris Johnson

WR (Z)

Cooper
Darnell Mooney

WR (H)

Dace
Glenn

LT