ADVERTISEMENT

Tulane game-by-game predictions

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I wrote this for the Advocate tab section that's coming out later this month, and it turns out they did not want or need it. I assumed they were running the same items I wrote last year, and I just learned they did not run it then, either (because of less space than they thought), unless it got published online only. I never looked, or at least I don't remember looking.

Anyway, I might as well publish it here. Don't take my predictions too seriously. It's impossible to predict with any accuracy what will happen each week because seasons are organic and one result affects the next, so if you're wrong early, you'll like be wrong a lot. Also, it's OK if you don't notice I have Tulane going 4-4 in the AAC in the game-by-game predictions after writing that Tulane would win more than 4 in my over/under piece here two weeks ago.

In reality, I see two very likely to sure victories for Tulane (Nicholls and ECU) and one certain loss (Ohio State). The rest are up in the air to varying degrees. I welcome anyone else taking a stab at predicting each game.

Game 1: Wake Forest
Date: Thursday, Aug. 30
TIME: 7 p.m.
WHERE: Yulman Stadium

Good News: Wake Forest will be without projected starting quarterback Kendall Hinton, who was suspended for the first three games for a violation of team rules. This, after the graduation of four-year starter John Wofford, who threw for 3,192 yards and 29 TDs as a senior.

Bad News: Tulane has lost 12 in a row to current Power Five conference schools since winning at Rutgers in 2010 and has not beaten a P5 school at home since Mississippi State in 2003.

Star Power:
This is an opportunity for Tulane quarterback Jonathan Banks to make a name for himself nationally. The game will be televised by CBS Sports Network, and a Green Wave upset win would create headlines.

I Say: Tulane 31, Wake Forest 27 (1-0)

Game 2: Nicholls State
DATE: Saturday, Sept. 8.
WHERE: Yulman Stadium

Good News: Tulane is 15-0 against FCS opponents with only a few close calls. Last year, the Wave hammered Grambling 43-14 at Yulman Stadium, and the Tigers did not lose again in the regular season.

Bad News: Nicholls is better than Grambling, will be pumped up for its first meeting with the FBS school only 60 miles away from Thibodaux and just added Texas A&M transfer Kendall Bussey, a former Newman star. Nicholls lost only 24-14 to Texas A&M last year.

Star Power: Quarterback Chase Fourcade, Bussey and fellow running back Kyran Irvan and wide receiver Damion Jeanpiere lead a high-powered Colonels offense that will test a Tulane defense that is very young up front.

I Say: Tulane 41, Nicholls 24 (2-0)

Game 3: at UAB
DATE: Saturday, Sept. 15.
TIME: noon.
WHERE: Legion Field, Birmingham, Alabama.

Good News: This would qualify as a trap game with Ohio State next on the agenda, but Tulane is a year removed from going through the motions in a disappointing loss at FIU and will be ready for the Blazers.

Bad News: UAB returns 16 starters from a team that went 8-5 in its first year back after the program went dark in 2015 and 2016. The Blazers beat bowl-bound Louisiana Tech and Southern Miss a year ago.

Star Power: Physical Blazers running back Spencer Brown, coming off a 1,329-yard year, faces a young Tulane defensive front that may have two true sophomores and a true freshman starter. The Wave gave up 5.3 yards per carry in 2017.

I Say: Tulane 27, UAB 24 (3-0)

Game 4: at Ohio State
DATE: Saturday, Sept. 22.
TIME: TBA.
WHERE: Ohio Stadium, Columbus, Ohio.

Good News: Tulane gets to face one of the nation’s most tradition-laded teams in a stadium that seats more than 100,000. Plus, the Buckeyes could be reeling if coach Urban Meyer gets fired before the season as expected.

Bad News: Ohio State is ranked third in the coaches’ preseason poll. This is a talent mismatch. Four of the Buckeyes’ last five recruiting classes have ranked third or higher according to Rivals.com.

Star Power: Everyone at Ohio State is a star, but let’s focus on a few. J.K. Dobbins rushed for 1,403 yards as a freshman, and Tulane will have a tough time blocking defensive linemen Nick Bosa and Dre’Mont Jones.

I Say: Ohio State 41, Tulane 13 (3-1)

Game 5: Memphis
DATE: Friday, Sept. 28.
WHERE: Yulman Stadium.

Good News: Memphis lost 4,000-yard passer Riley Ferguson and 1,400-yard receiver Anthony Miller. The crowd will be loud at Yulman Stadium as Tulane entertains the West division favorite on ESPN2 and seeks a defining victory.

Bad News: The Tigers are still loaded at the skill positions and have won 11 straight in the series. Their skill position players were too fast for the Wave defense in a 56-26 rout in Memphis a year ago.

Star Power: The Memphis defense is vulnerable, having given up 30 or more points seven times in 2017. It could be a big night for Tulane receivers Terren Encalade, Darnell Mooney and Freddy Canteen, particularly if the Tigers struggle to stop the run.

I Say: Memphis 34, Tulane 31 (3-2, 0-1 AAC)

Game 6: at Cincinnati
DATE: Saturday, Oct. 6.
TIME: TBA.
WHERE: Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Good News: The Bearcats are coming off back-to-back 4-8 seasons, and their last two victories a year ago came by one point, including one at Yulman Stadium when Tulane missed a 36-yard field goal with 1:21 left.

Bad News: The game comes at a bad time. Tulane will be playing for the sixth time in six weeks, having faced Ohio State and Memphis in a span of six days before going back to Ohio again. How much energy will the Wave have?

Star Power: It will be interesting to see whether Cincinnati coach Luke Fickell sticks with senior QB Hayden Moore or turns to strong-armed freshman Ben Bryant. Fickell’s staff has recruited well.

I Say: Cincinnati 26 Tulane 24 (3-3, 0-2 AAC)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News