ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations: Wednesday, Aug. 19

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
They are in pads today and Parry Nickerson is being held out again.

Donnie Lewis has replaced Tristan Cooper as the first string strong safety. The rest of the starters on both sides are the same as usual on both sides of the ball, including Ade Aruna at right defensive end and Taris Shenall replacing Nickerson at right cornerback.

I predict that Dontrell Hilliard will lead Tulane in receptions this year. He has good hands and knows how to get open.

They are not going live in the 2-minute drill--no tackling--but Tanner Lee just capped off his drive with a TD pass to Trey Scott. I would not be surprised if Scott is second on the team in receptions in a close competition with Teddy Veal. Tight ends coach David Johnson said Scott was the second fastest player on the team yesterday behind Devin Glenn. I'm not sure about the validity, but he in incredibly fast for a "tight end."

The second-team defense, keeping in mind that Nickerson is out, is Robert Kennedy at left end, Corey Redwine and Calvin Thomas at tackles and Daren Williams at right end. The linebackers are Eric Bowie at MLB and Rae Juan Marbley at WLB. The nickelback is Sam Davis, a walk-on practicing with the 2s for the second straight day. He is from Overland Park, Kansas, and CJ commented on his surprising rise after practice.

"He's one of these guys who appeared at camp, and he's been eye-opening throughout the whole camp," CJ said. "In the scrimmage he made a couple of plays and he made some plays yesterday, so he's getting more and more time. I'l play Sam if he continues to progress and do what he's doing. I like what he's doing now. He's a good little DB for us."

The cornerbacks are Jeremie Francis (normally a 3 when Nickerson plays) and Stephon Lofton. The safeties are Roderic Teamer and Malik Eugene. Cooper, who worked with the 1s yesterday, is standing on the sideline in uniform and has not received any reps during the 2-minute drill. Luke Jackson rotated in at right end with the second unit during the drive.

The first-team OL is the same, but Junior Diaz replaced Nathan Shienle at center during the 2-minute drill.

The second team offensive line is Kenneth Santa Marina, Leeward Brown, Diaz, Brandon Godfrey and John Leglue. No changes there.

The third team OL is Keyshawn Mcleod, Leeward Brown, Godfrey at center, Keeyon Smart and Devon Johnson. Notice no mention of Jason Stewart, and there's a reason for that. He's been moved to the defensive line.

"We're trying him at D-line," CJ said. "We have a couple of injuries at D-line and we're trying to get bigger up front, so he's one of those guys that we feel maybe can help us."

I don't know who the injured players are, but Stewart clearly needs to shed serious pounds and was making zero progress on the offensive line depth chart. I'll check tomorrow to see what DTs are not practicing, but I saw Brian Webb on the third-team unit today, so the injury candidates are Braynon Edwards, John Washington and Eldrick Washington. I got to practice late today and it ended early, barely after 10 a.m., so basically all I saw was the 2-minute drill at the end. Regardless, it would be a shock if Stewart got on the field at DT this year. He's not quick enough.

Rob Kelley, one of three excellent receivers among the running back corps (Hilliard and Sherman Badie are the others), dropped a pass from Tanner Lee in the 2-minute drill on a slant. The pass was slightly behind him, but he should have held on to it. Drops like that have been rare for the running backs or the tight ends.

Wide receiver Terren Encalade has some work to do to get in the rotation. Receivers coach Carter Sheridan told him he needed to get in better shape while working with him after practice.

The T-P made a rare appearance at practice today, which meant CJ heard a different voice asking questions (I've been the sole reporter there most days).

Here is his Q&A aside from the two quotes I've already given.

What are your thoughts on practice?

"I like how practice went today. We picked it up. Yesterday we were a little lax and had to go a lot longer, but today the practice was a lot snappier, we threw the ball well and caught the ball well. The quarterbacks are having an outstanding camp. All those guys are doing excellent. The defense ran around, but the penalties, the jumping offsides (has to stop).

"I still don't know who my kicker is. I thought it was Logan, but then he started missing and DiRocco started making them. I'm going to throw a rabbit in the hat and hope one of them comes out. I'll take any suggestions or any help I can get with these guys. We've just got to be prepared to go for it on fourth down if we need to or punt it."

EDITORIAL COMMENT: I missed the kicking drill today, but that's as discouraging a quote as you're going to hear. Tulane does not have the margin for error to have a good year without being able to make routine kicks.

How many freshmen do you see making an impact this year?

"Almost all the kids in the secondary have to play. I like Malik (Eugene), (Taris) Shanell, (Dedrick) Shy, (Roderic) Teamer. At running back Nigel and Jet (Devin Glenn), you just watch them and you glow watching those kids play. The receivers are catching the ball. I don't know who's not going to play right now."

Does it look like Nigel Anderson is picking up things really quickly after coming in late?

"He's smarter than you would think. I know he played some quarterback in high school. He's big, he's physical, he's fast. He's everything you want in a back. Jet is just so daggone fast. You see him run through the holes and catch the ball. He can do a variety of things for us."

Did you expect Glenn to be able to come here and find his way so quickly?

"You never what to expect, but I knew he could run and was very fast. I didn't know he was as tough as he was and as nifty as he is, and that kind of brings an added dimension. He can do some stuff for us in the passing game also because he's a heck of a receiver."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News