ADVERTISEMENT

Practice observations: Thursday, Aug. 6

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I missed the first hour if they started on time, but the first thing I've noticed is Shienle practicing at first-team center with Chris Taylor back. No surprise there. They want a good look at Junior Diaz, but the first-time line is Santa Marina, Taylor, Shienle, Colton Hanson and Arturo Uzdavinis.

Edward Williams, who will redshirt this year, is practicing in an 8 on 8 drill with the third unit, working along side Malik Eugene, Roderic Teamer and a line of Peter Woullard, Calvin Thomas, Braynon Edwards and Luke Jackson. I've always had my doubts about Williams dating from the time his parents forced him to sign with Tulane over Texas Tech and he showed up to watch a spring practice looking like he wanted to be any other place in the world, was monosyllabic in an interview and said he would dominate at this level. But if he sticks out this redshirt year, he still has a chance to be a heck of a player in his final two years. We all know the ability is there, and he showed flashes last year.

Every time I watch Edwards run, I can't envision him ever being a factor at Tulane, but maybe I'm being too harsh. I have a bias against players who cannot shed weight. He has good feet, but you have to be able to move, even at defensive tackle.

After a water break where the entire team went under the concourse, seven players are shagging punts: Parry Nickerson, Terren Encalade, Devin Glenn, Teddy Veal, Donnie Lewis, Darion Monroe and Sherman Badie. Veal dropped one. I'd like them to take a long look at Glenn. If he's reliable, I bet he could be dangerous, and unless Nickerson or Monroe or Veal or Badie prove they are difference makers (no evidence of that last year on returns), they are too valuable to risk injury.

A field goal drill was a mixed bag. All of them made some and missed some. My concern about Simms is his inconsistency. One of his misses, a 41-yarder from the left hash, was a low hook that barely got above helmet level. He was wide right with plenty of distance from 50 yards but made one from 47 yards and hit the upright on another. DiRocco hit one from 47 yards and was short on a 50-yarder. Block is running third at the moment, but he hit a 42-yarder after the other two missed it. He was short and right on a 47-yarder. It's far too early to call this race.

Watched the 1-on-1 blocking drills again. Here's a rundown.

Diaz and Smart had a standoff
LaFrance beat Leeward Brown easily
Jacquet handled Carroll
Bradley held off Webb
Edwards got past Diaz
Wilson beat Stewart with quickness
Bell got inside McLeod
LaFrance ovepowered McLeod
Aruna got inside Stewart
Godfrey neutralized Webb
Bradley neutralized Washington
Keeyon Smart took down Cammisa (walk-on)
Santa Marina dominated Kennedy
Taylor and Smart had a standoff
Hanson blocked Redwine

Practice went nearly three hours, with several players cramping up at the end on another hot day, although it was not as brutal as yesterday's afternoon workout. With the temperature supposed to hit 98 the next three days, those morning practices are a necessity rather than an option.

I didn't glean much from the 11 on 11 at the end of practice. Devin Powell consistently throws low on simple swing passes. He also threw a beauty to Devon Breaux on a 20-yard out pattern. Tanner Lee threw a lot of short passes, and his favorite target appeared to be Larry Dace, who was awarded a scholarship two weeks ago. Dace and CJ confirmed he does have two years of eligibility left. Although he was not redshirted as a freshman walk-on, they can apply retroactively and will do so, and it will be granted.

The twisted ankle Taris Shenall sustained Tuesday did not keep him out of any reps today. He practices from start to finish.

The divide between kickers and the rest of the team is always played up as huge, and there's some truth to that, but I watched Eric Bell walk over to get some water right next to where Simms, DiRocco and walk-on Casey Spinelli were standing near a stadium wall. He slapped hands with all three of them, then engaged in an animated friendly conversation for about a minute before returning to the sideline.

Walk-on QB Dylan Richman will not participate in practice until the semester starts. Now you know this is a full-coverage site. The Wave has five QBs for the moment.

Tulane will practice in the morning tomorrow, against without pads by NCAA rule. That restriction ends Saturday for the fourth practice, but CJ was not sure whether they would pads on that soon or not.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News