ADVERTISEMENT

Our Football Recruiting Area

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
Despite CJ’s efforts to only recruit within a cab ride of the school, most people believe our primary recruiting area should run from Florida to Texas. Fortunately, this is a very “rich” area for recruiting. Over half of all BCS high school signees come from the six states that make up the region. Last year by my count that was over 1500 signees—Texas (473), Florida (460), Georgia (270), Alabama (140), Louisiana (108), and Mississippi (56).

I generally think that we need to recruit in the top half of signees from each of these states. Simply put, roughly half of Division 1 schools are members of the so-called P5. They sign the large majority of those “top half” kids. If we can recruit significant numbers from the top half, we can not only compete in the AAC and with other G5 schools, but we can start to compete with “lower end” P5 schools.

But the sad truth is that in recent years, we have recruited very few players generally considered to have “upper half” potential from Louisiana or any other state. Last year, Tre Jackson from Louisiana, Jacob Robertson, D. J. Owens, and Will Harper from Georgia, and P.J. Hall from Alabama were probably considered “top half” recruits in their various states. They were all brought in by Coach Fritz but it’s simply not enough long term. So far this year our recruits don’t match up to that standard, but it’s still a long way to February when commitments become signees.

By my count, we’ve offered at least 64 kids in Louisiana— almost all I consider solid Division 1A candidates, and most are clearly “top half” (top 50 or so) guys. We’ve also offered quite a few from surrounding states: Mississippi (12), Alabama (34), Florida (33), Georgia (54), and Texas (53).

I plan to look much closer at each of those states and who we are recruiting.

Roll Wave!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News