ADVERTISEMENT

No special teams writeup

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I completed the position-by-position previews I started after spring drills last week, and I will not add a special teams preview because there's nothing to write that I haven't already written multiple times.

To have any chance to win this year, Tulane has to improve exponentially in the kicking game, specifically on snaps and field goals. No matter what happens elsewhere, it cannot be successful without having a kicker who can make a 30-yard field goal almost every time and have a reasonable shot at kicks up to 45 yards. It cannot be successful when punt snaps are sailing out the back of the end zone five feet over the punter's head.

A better year from Picerelli and some semblance of a return game would help, but the first two categories are absolute necessities and should be automatic for an FBS program.

I have no idea whether the Wave will be up to the task here. Maybe Zach Block is the answer. Maybe Andrew DiRocco will improve drastically. Maybe strong-legged Trevor Simms will learn to kick straight. But until I see it in practice (I did not in the spring), I will reserve judgment.

Maybe new special teams coach Doug Lichtenberger will light a fire under the entire unit, but that's a wait-and-see, too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News