ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA "Dead Period"

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
There may be some confusion regarding what contact a college can make with a prospective student athlete during a “dead period.” According to the NCAA, “During a dead period a college coach may not have face-to-face contact with college-bound student-athletes or their parents, and may not watch student-athletes compete or visit their high schools. Coaches may write and telephone student-athletes or their parents during a dead period.” ( http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/resources/recruiting-calendars )The upcoming “dead period” runs between December 4 and January 13, but does not mean that Coach Fritz cannot talk on the phone to current or potential “commits.”

Contact with someone like Jack Abraham, who presumably is getting ready to enroll could be even more extensive, depending on his status. Again, according to the NCAA, “Institutional staff members may have contact with a prospective student-athlete who has been admitted for midyear enrollment, provided the prospective student-athlete has signed a National Letter of Intent or other offer of admission and/or financial aid to attend the institution and is required to be on campus to attend institutional orientation sessions for all students.” (http://ncaacompliance.nd.edu/RecruitingCalendars.shtml#Football )

Junior College students can sign a National Letter of Intent as early as December 16th for enrolment in January. I haven’t been able to definitively determine what date a high school graduate can sign who, like Abraham, wishes to enroll early. I’d guess it’s the same date but haven’t been able to “lock that down." The compliance officer at Tulane would undoubtedly know, of course.

Anyway, that’s what I know or think I know.

Roll Wave!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News