ADVERTISEMENT

MLB draft: Jake Rogers, Stephen Alemais go in third round

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Rogers went at No. 97 to the Astros, and Alemais went at 105 to the Pirates. They are as good as gone. No surprise there.

I was surprised that seven college catchers were taken before Rogers, whose defensive skills are off the charts, but his batting average scared away a lot of teams. Not many college players who hit .200 in conference play every make the Major Leagues, but hopefully he will be the exception. As he showed in the 9th inning at Ole Miss, he is better than his numbers indicate.

I also was surprised that no college shortstop went in the top 50. I guess the elite high school shortstops--the best player on most teams plays shortstop at that level--head straight to professional ball, but I admit I haven't paid enough attention to know the answer. Alemais was the fourth college shortstop taken. He has a level swing and the superior athletic ability that will help in the minor leagues, but he has to clean up the errors and sloppy footwork that got him in trouble from time to time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News