ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Cornish Q&A: Tulane gets nice hoops transfer

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Jordan Cornish, a highly recruited 6-foot-6 guard out of Brother Martin High in New Orleans, put up modest numbers in two years at UNLV after originally signing with Tennessee, but he has the potential to be a big-time player and believes he has a future in the NBA. When he decided to leave UNLV after coaching turmoil there, he never thought he would return to his hometown, but new Tulane coach Mike Dunleavy convinced him to change his mind.

Friday, I talked to Cornish and Brother Martin coach Chris Biehl. Here's the interview with Cornish, who has been accepted into Tulane.

What were the primary reasons you decided to come to Tulane?

“I wanted to find a place where I could come in with a good coaching staff and learn and just really expand my game and take it to the next level, and I absolutely think I can do that with coach Dunleavy and his staff.”

What impresses you the most about Mike Dunleavy and his staff?

“Just he’s an NBA guy and he knows what it takes (for a player to get to the NBA). He made out a blueprint for me, and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.”

Did you even consider Tulane coming out of Brother Martin High in New Orleans?

“To be honest I wouldn’t have even blinked my eye at the thought of coming to Tulane, but with coach Dunleavy being here and his staff, you can tell the changes already. You know he’s going to come in and change the program (180 degrees).”

Is there any chance you can appeal having to sit out a year under transfer rules considering the coaching changes at UNLV?

“NCAA rules I have to sit out because obviously last year I played every game. I have to sit out.”

Your coach at UNLV got fired in January, then the coach they hired as his replacement bolted after one week to go to Texas Tech. What have the last few months been like for you?

“Oh man, the last few months have been very lengthy to say the least. It’s been rough, but God does everything for a reason. I went to Jamaica with my family to get away from things, and even then, Tulane wasn’t anywhere in the picture. I got the call from coach Dunleavy to come visit, and when I left here (Tulane), I told my parents I was coming home.”

When did Dunleavy contact you for the first time?

“Mid-May, maybe. He said I had a chance to play for an NBA coach and an NBA coaching staff and guys who had been around the game who could get me to the next level that me and him both know that I can play at.”

UNLV moved you to point guard this past year, a role that you had never performed. What do you see as your role at Tulane?

“Just a guy that can play all three positions—point guard, shooting guard, wing. I’m a guy that can move around a lot to get guys involved scoring the basketball and doing all those things.”

What is your best asset?

“I would say shooting the ball and getting guys the ball. I’m a very, very unselfish player.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News