ADVERTISEMENT

It's CJ's team now... time to shine!!

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
With three years in the books. Coach Johnson finally has a team that can be called “his.” In his first year, all but a handful of freshmen he recruited were holdovers from the Toledo regime. During the bowl season, many of the key contributors had been signed or recruited by Toledo. This included Grant, Shackleford, Rush, Uzdavinus, Morgan, Mares, Donnelly, Darkwa, Kelley, Butler, Santos, Warmsley, Sullen, Schofield, Doss, Strozier, Kyle Davis, Zach Davis, and Dominique Robertson. This past year, 21 of the scholarship lettermen were “Toledo guys.” So, for good or bad, in the two 3-9 years and the 7-6 season, much of the team that CJ had to work with were not “his” guys in the sense he had not recruited and signed them. This year is different.

Of the 52 returning lettermen, including two “walk-ons” (Simms and Wadleigh), only nine were signed or committed prior to CJ’s arrival: Arturo Uzdavinus, Colton Hanson, Bob Bradley, Todd Jacquet, Robert Kelley, Lazedrick Thompson, and Devon Breaux on offense. Additionally, Jordy Joseph was a walk on with Toledo and recently offered a scholarship by Coach Johnson. On defense, only Cory Redwine predates CJ’s tenure. So, with the exception of the offensive line, it’s pretty much CJ’s recruits on the team now.

And, in my view, this is a huge year for the future of Tulane football. I doubt anything but a season with 3-wins or fewer would put CJ on the true “hot seat” regarding his job. But, his long term future will depend on success sooner rather than later.

Compared to our completion, I don’t think we have a particularly good recruiting class coming in next year. But there are some players with real potential in my view. A good season will secure them and, depending on attrition, possibly gain a couple more “top end” guys closer to signing day. More important from the recruiting standpoint are the 2017 and 2018 classes we are working right now. In 2017, we should have close to a full class—at least 20 scholarships. With 26 current scholarship sophomores on the roster, 2018 will undoubtedly see us signing 25 kids, maybe more if we can get some early entrees. If we’re to progress in the “recruiting wars,” the time to start is now. We should be better in 2016 than this year. So, if we can get to a bowl this season, 2016 should be fun and the local kids will start seeing the kind of success most of them experience in high school. Here’s hoping.

Roll Wave!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News