ADVERTISEMENT

Friday practice closed: no practice observations

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
They moved it to the Saints facility, but I did talk to CJ when they got back to the Wilson Center. He said guys like Nico Marley and Darion Monroe and Lazedrick Thompson will play only a few players before sitting out the rest of Saturday morning's scrimmage, but Tanner Lee will get plenty of work since he needs the reps.

I'm not sure whether he was joking or not, but CJ said this year's kicker might not be on campus yet. The field goal kicker's accuracy has gotten worse rather than better since the start of camp, and with classes beginning Monday, Tulane might have another walk-on or two show up next week.

CJ said today he could envision Tulane using five running backs in each game. My guess is Josh Rounds might be the odd-man or get some time at wide receiver because we know last year's big three and Rob Kelley are going to play, and Devin Glenn gives them a big-play threat. But tomorrow's scrimmage could be telling.

I will be interested to watch the defensive ends. Six guys are in the mix for playing time, with Royce LaFrance, Ade Aruna and Daren Williams certainties and Peter Woullard, Robert Kennedy and Luke Jackson vying for the fourth spot in the rotation. The battle between Aruna and Williams for a starting spot bears watching, too.

CJ mentioned middle linebacker and strong safety as two more points of interest. I'm with him on the safety issue because no one is even remotely proven there, but it's hard to envision a scenario where Eric Thomas is not the starter at MLB. He started three times last year and, at least to my eyes, no one else has emerged as a contender.

I will be watching the freshman cornerbacks closely. They look the part and were impressive on the first few days of practice but have been burned a bit since then. Having the physical ability and knowing what to do on the field are two different things, so tomorrow is significant for Dedrick Shy and Taris Shenall, who appear to be the No. 3 and No.4 corners.

And, of course, the wide receivers need close attention. The question is other than Teddy Veal, can any of these guys make a play against a good defense? Look for Devon Breaux and Larry Dace to start with Veal if the Wave uses three-wide receiver sets, with freshmen Rickey Preston and Andrew Hicks rotating in. Others have been impressed with the freshman wideouts, so maybe tomorrow I will see what others have seen. I have not been impressed by Preston's hands and really have not noticed Hicks at all to this point.

One thing I'm almost certain of after watching all but one day of open practices--the tight ends and running backs will be involved heavily in the passing game. I expect the first pass to go down the seam to Trey Scott or Charles Jones, and one of the next ones to go to Dontrell Hilliard over the middle.

One of the keys to the season is how the O-line performs, but it's always hard to glean much when a team is going against itself. Tulane's D-line should be pretty darn good, so if the line struggles tomorrow, it should not be panic time. CJ said he would be looking closely at the pass protection because it needs to be a lot better than it was last year. Also watch the battle between Kenneth Santa Marina and Todd Jacquet at right tackle. The reps with the first unit there and their performance will be telling. I've seen less and less of Junior Diaz with the first-team unit at center as preseason practice has gone along. The coaches appear to have settled on Nathan Shienle as the best option at center and Colton Hanson as the best option at left guard.

I talked to Luke Jackson today for an upcoming feature. He said he weighs more and is stronger than he was before his testicular cancer scare two years ago. He thinks he is earning a spot in the playing rotation but is not certain of it yet, and he said it would be an incredible feeling if he got on the field in the opener against Duke. His best asset appears to quickness of the ball. Tulane's left tackles have let him get by them several times in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News