ADVERTISEMENT

Disappointed, not displeased

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
The season did not end as we’d hoped, but I’m happy with the trend Couch Pierce hopefully has established this season. Last year many people opined that we had a lot of talent on the team but poor coaching was the reason for a losing season. I thought then and think now that we don’t have that much talent and superior coaching, an attitude of “never give up,” and the tenacity of certain players led to the turnaround.

Next year we should return an entire starting lineup: Williams, Willsey, Alemais, Hope, Johnson, Carthon, Kaplan, and Rogers with Grant Brown also coming back. Unfortunately, only four of those guys hit better than .260 and incoming players have a great opportunity to displace some of them and make an immediate impact. On the mound, we had seven guys throw at least 30 innings. Massey, Duester, Gibbs, Yandel, and Gibaut are all juniors. Gibaut and Massey could turn pro I suppose, but the others should be back regardless. Merrill and Rankin are sophomores and should also return. J.P. France should also be back along with Gross and Steel who each had some good moments. Add in several pitchers who didn’t throw that much. Between them Troy Ward and Sam Bjorngjeld, for example, appeared in 13 games, threw 17.2 innings, allowed nine hits (though walked eight) and only allowed one earned run. They will need a closer look next year along with the incoming guys.

I hope to learn more about those “new” guys in the next few weeks.

For now, a “well done” to the baseball team. We’re looking for better in the future.

Roll Wave!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News