ADVERTISEMENT

CJ previewing the draft

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Realistically, Lorenzo Doss is the only Tulane player with a chance to be drafted in the next two days, and even he is not a lock despite being projected as a fourth- to sixth-round pick.

At the end of spring practice I asked CJ about Doss and anyone else who would get a look from the NFL., and I don't think I ever posted his answers.

Here they are:

What are your thoughts on Doss' draft potential?

"I like what Lorenzo’s doing. He’s physical, he’s learned to be physical, he can cover and he can intercept the ball. The best thing about him is he can intercept the ball. He’s one of those guys I would definitely take a long, hard look at and I would get him if I could."

Was 2014 a learning experience for Doss? He clearly did not play as well as he did in his first two seasons.

"I would say this. One thing about that position is you definitely have to have amnesia. He has the ability to come back from some stuff. I think he’ll be good. When Doss gets with a team and gets settled in and learns what to do, I think he’ll be good."

How high do you see him going in the draft?

"You never know with the draft. If I say first round I could be wrong and if I say seventh round or free agent I could be wrong, so I don’t know. Wherever he goes, he’ll make a team and he’ll play a lot of football."

Any other possibilities for the draft for your players this year?

"(Sean)Donnelly is a big, athletic tackle and everybody wants size. I really like the athleticism of Tyler Gilbert. He may be the one guy that somebody takes a chance on. You get him in camp and you get him moving, and I think he can be something. (Matt) Marfisi is a big kid that may be able to do some stuff.

What about Taurean Nixon?

"The one thing everybody loves about T Nix is his speed. He can run and he looks good, so guys are definitely asking about him. It will be crucial for him to run well at the Pro Day. If he runs well (which he did), I think he will get a great opportunity."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News