ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting recruiting site

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
I recently came across a site, called “Rank by Offers” (http://www.rankbyoffers.com/).

Essentially the site ranks recruits by the offers they have received. A recruit with 20 offers would generally be rated much higher than one with three. And the “quality” of the offers is also considered. For example, an offer from Alabama (#1) is worth more than an offer from Tulane (#80). That makes sense to me. The school rankings are based on a three year calculation of what teams a given school “beat out” for a prospect and which schools “beat them out.” It’s a little more complex than that as it is based on the Elo rating system, which was devised to rank world class chess players and involves some pretty intricate math. Somewhat arbitrarily, an offer from the top school, Alabama, is worth 100 points. And an offer from the 129th place team (last), Miami (O), is worth 1 point. The other 127 teams are arranged between those two numbers. If the range were 1 to 1,000 or 1 to 10, it probably wouldn't change the ordering much, but it would widen or tighten it. I'm OK with the 1 to 100.

As always with a system based on “reported offers,” it is only as good as the input data. Also, the more offers a school puts out, the more “defeats” they will encounter. Some of these may be after they “pulled back” their offer and the fact that the potential recruit signed with a “lesser school” had nothing to do with a legitimate head-to-head competition. This may essentially become a “wash” over thousands of data points, but it probably hurts the “higher rated” schools more than the lower rated ones. But, that’s just a guess. The math to prove that would hurt my head and probably take me a month or so to complete.:(

Anyhow, it’s another place to see how recruits are rated by a completely different system.

Roll Wave!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News