ADVERTISEMENT

22-13: The Bad and the Good

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
After losing 4 of our last 5, our RPI has dropped from #40 to #63. From people talking about “hosting” a regional, we wouldn’t even be an “outside-the-bubble” team if the season ended today. From competing for the conference lead, we’re now in 5th place out of 8, having played six home games and only two away. Not good!

We’re not hitting; everyone knows it. But, it’s worse than most think. It’s not just the last few games. Over the last 20 games, we’re hitting .240 as a team. Last year, we hit .253 for the season. Who’d a “thunk” it after “feasting” on our early season opponents?

In recent games, Alemais is 2 for his last 20; Wetherspoon is 0 for 19; Williams is 2 for 16; and Rogers is 1 for 20. Those are some severe slumps from four of our best hitters prior to this stretch.

Our two consistent starting pitchers, Jake Gibbs and Massey the younger, are looking great. That they allowed one earned run over two games against Cincinnati and only won one of them is unbelievable.

Massey the elder and France are not looking good at all and Merrill is clearly not ready to step into the rotation—at least off of Sunday’s appearance.

With only two reliable starters facing four games a week with a bullpen that has been inconsistent at best, it’s hard to see us getting more than two solid-pitched games each week. Combined with our woeful hitting it’s hard to see how we can win more than 2 out of 4 most weeks.

As and aside: Three errors by pitchers on pickoff attempts in one game? I don’t know if records are kept on such a statistic, but I doubt I’ve seen or heard of that in the roughly 60 years I’ve followed the game

The Good.

We do have two starting pitchers who are pitching ‘lights out.”

Merrill is coming back and though he’s clearly not ready, his return bodes well. A third solid starter would be important.

Massey and France are capable. They could “turn it around”

Duester appears to be returning to form.

And when Simms can find the plate, he’s almost unhittable.

It’s also good to see Gross back. He hasn’t pitched that well at Tulane but had a very good summer. If he can replicate that against the occasional lefty, that will help.

Some guys are actually hitting pretty well. Despite going 0-5 on Sunday, Kaplan is 9 for his last 25; Hope is 8 for 24; Montalbano is 7 for 24; and Willsey is 6 for his last 14.

And I don’t believe Alemais, Rogers, Williams, and Witherspoon will continue to hit “sub-100” for very long.

Finally, we have 20 games to go. If we could go 14-6, our RPI would probably be in the mid-40’s and we’d be in the regionals, barring a conference tourney collapse. 13-7 would probably put us just outside, in the low 50’s RPI. But, there are plenty games left to get hot and have a good season. It's what I hope for and expect.

Roll Wave!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News