ADVERTISEMENT

Update: Monday, Aug. 19 and Tuesday, Aug. 20

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Darian Mensah continues to get the majority of the reps with the first unit at Tulane's practices, and despite Jon Sumrall's explanation that they are making up for lost time to balance it out because he received no first-team reps earlier in the preseason, I think Mensah will start against Southeastern next Thursday. Sumrall said today he would make no announcement before the game and he believes all three quarterbacks will have to win a game for Tulane at some point this year, and I agree the only way to find out which one is best is to play them. But Mensah, most likely in my eyes, will get the first shot.

They had a full practice yesterday and a very light walk-through today with no helmets, representing the Wednesday and Thursday of a normal game week, and I feel confident in what the depth chart will look like for the opener. Here it is:

QUARTERBACK

1) Mensah
2) either Kai Horton or Ty Thompson

Comment: Mensah has simply looked better than the other two in the last two weeks, but he will have to prove he can play at the same level in games. There is no way to know if he will at this point, but his makeup is ideal.

RUNNING BACK

1) Makhi Hughes
2) Arnold Barnes
3) Shaadie Clayton-Johnson
4) Jamauri McClure

Comment: Hughes is a lock, and I think the rest will enter in the way I just ordered it. Performance will determine the pecking order from there. Sumrall talked about having a package for McClure becuase he is not ready to handle the whole offense. That brings to mind the disastrous packages CJ used for players that never worked, but Sumrall is an infinitely better coach. if McClure goes where he is supposed to and holds on to the ball, he is the second-most talented back on the roster in my opinion.

WIDE RECEIVER

Starters: Mario Williams, Yulkeith Brown and Dontae Fleming
Backups: Bryce Bohanon, Shaun Nicholas and Sidney Mbanasor
Next: Zycarl Lewis, Khai Prean and Garrett Mmahat

Comment: The first three are locks, with Fleming the inside guy and the other two on the outside when they line up on opposite sides of the field. The picture is still not totally set behind them, although Bohanon, who is lining up in the slot, is the clear No. 4. Lewis has come on in the past week, but he is a true freshman and I'm not sure if he is ready. Nicholas, who practiced in the spring, and Mbanasor, a Utah transfer, have more experience. I've always been partial to Mmahat among Tulane's walk-ons, but his long-shot bid was hurt by a drop in the end zone on Monday. Shazz Preston (hamstring) almost certainly will not play in the opener, although he not been officially ruled out. I do not expect Phat Watts (ankle) to play, either.

TIGHT END

1) Alex Bauman
2) Anthony Miller (because Reggie Brown is injured)
3) Josh Goines

Comment: I forgot to ask about Brown's status the past two days. He was having a good camp before getting injured and would be the No. 2 guy if healthy--maybe even No. 1 in blocking sets. Miller has made some plays the past the past two weeks. Tulane uses multiple tight end sets at times, so Bauman will have company.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Starters: LT Derrick Graham, LG Shadre Hurst, C Vincent Murphy, RG Josh Remetich, RT Rashad Green
Backups: LT Rashad Baker, LG Landry Cannon, C Caleb Thomas, RG Jayce Mitchell, RT Darion Reed

Comment: The starters are set in stone. Thomas would be the first guy off the bench at center or guard, with Cannon likely next at guard. I'm not clear about the backup tackles. My guess is they would go in as needed at the spot they have practiced the most since they are so young.

DEFENSIVE LINE

Starters: Terrell Allen at bandit, Patrick Jenkins at DT, Eric Hicks at NT and Adin Huntington at DE
Backups: Matthew Fobbs-White at bandit, Kam Hamilton at DT, Adonis Frlioux at NT, Gerrod Henderson at DE
Also in picture: Angelo Anderson and DeShaun Batiste at DE, Elijah Champaigne at DT, Michael Lunz at bandit

Comment: This is a talented, deep group at three of the four spots. Even Angelo Anderson has come on in camp, and Friloux has looked closer to his form in 2021 though not quite all the way back. I am not so sure about bandit, where no one has really stepped up.

LINEBACKER

Starters: Tyler Grubbs and Sam Howard
Backups: Chris Rodgers and Dickson Agu
Also competing: Makai Williams

Comment: Chris Rodgers is a playmaker, as are Grubbs and Howard. Tulane is equipped to survive the loss of Jesus Machado for at least most of the season and likely all of it.

NICKELBACK (spear)

1) Caleb Ransaw
2) Javion White or Jayden Lewis or Shi'Keem Laister

Comment: Ransaw will be an All-AAC performer. The two freshmen behind him are in a close batter, although White, who unlike Lewis did not arrive for the spring semester, has received the most reps with the second team. Laister is used most often in the role of a blitzer off the edge when he plays that spot.

CORNERBACK

Starters: Micah Robinson and Johnathan Edwards
Backups: Rayshawn Pleasant and Jaheim Johnson
Also in running: Rishi Rattan and Lu Tillery

Comment: I really like Robinson as a ball hawk, and Edwards is solid. Pleasant has looked sharp, too. Rattan has slipped down the depth chart, but his tackle of Mario Williams for a 5-yard loss in the scrimmage showed he is no standard walk-on.

SAFETY

Starters: Jalen Geiger at SS, Bailey Despanie at FS
Backups: Joshua Moore at SS, Kevin Adams at FS
Also in picture: Jack Tchienchou

Comment: Tchienchou was getting some starter reps alternating with Geiger before a couple of injuries set him back in camp. The starters are locked in now, but Adams has been ultra impressive.

KICKER

1) Jacob Barnes
2) Ethan Head or Patrick Durkin

Comment: Barnes has not looked great in camp, but he has proven he can do it in games despite not having anywhere near as strong a leg as the two walk-ons. I have no idea which of the two will win the kickoff job--both send it to the end zone every time--but I will see if I can find out tomorrow.

PUNTER

1) Will Karoll
2) Brice Busch

Comment: Karoll needs to be more consistent than last year but has no real competition.

HOLDER

1) Busch for Barnes, a left-footer, and Karoll for the two walk-ons, who are right-footed.

LONG SNAPPER

1) Ethan Hudak

PUNT RETURNER

1) Fleming
2) Mario Williams or Bohanon

Comment: Williams has started showing the form at receiver that made him a big-time recruit and impact player at USC, but his hands concern me in this role. Fleming has caught everything in camp but he muffed a punt in the bowl game. A spot to watch.

KICKOFF RETURNER

1) Clayton-Johnson and Fleming

Comment: Clayton-Johnson looks the most natural to me, which is unusual because I have a bias toward receivers over running backs in this role. I'll never forget watching Rob Kelley run straight to first contact over and over in 2011, but Clayton-Johnson is nothing like him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.