ADVERTISEMENT

Some out of state possibilities who are uncommitted

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
Having reviewed some of the Louisiana-based kids who have not yet committed for 2019, I thought I’d mention a few that we have offered that might fill our current needs which I see as QB and OL, along with any particularly good players from other positions who might end up in Olive Green and Blue.

We’ve offered at least 20 QB’s from out of state for 2019 and by my count, all but two have signed elsewhere. Those two are Knox Kadum from Rome, Georgia who is listed as 6’3” and 185#. Over a 4 year career as the starting QB, his team went 49-6 and won two state titles in Class 5A (7A is the highest). He completed over 64% of his passes for 7,400 yards and 76 TD’s against 15 INT’s. He also scored 37 TD’s rushing on 357 carries for 2414 yards (6.8 yds/carry), so he’s a legitimate dual threat QB. Most of his offers are from Sun, MAC, and CUSA schools though he was offered by Rutgers in early December. He apparently had a good time on an official visit shortly after the offer but did not sign, so he’s apparently still available. Rutgers has signed one QB so far and has another committed but not signed. Kadum looks very good but I have no idea of his interest in Tulane or if we are actively recruiting him. To me, barring the signing of Legendre (assuming he’s even eligible), he’d be worth a scholarship.

The other QB still available that we have offered is Peyton Matocha, who played for St. Thomas in Houston. He’s also a big kid at 6’4” and 202#, according to recruiting sites. He received a December offer from Tulane as well as late offers from both Massachusetts and Wyoming. He visited Wyoming in December and the visit apparently went very well. He’s expected to visit Tulane in the next couple of weeks. Unlike Kadum, Matocha only started full time in his senior year when his team went 6-6. He completed 54% of his passes as a senior for almost 3,700 yards and 35 TD’s with 13 INT’s. He also scored 14 TD’s running the ball, gaining 787 yards on 146 carries (5.4 yds/carry), so he’s also a legitimate “dual threat.” His team played in Class 5A with 6A being the highest. Both guys look pretty good on their hudl highlights though Kadum is probably closer to playing BCS-level football at this point. Matocha simply hasn’t played as much. That said, I have no idea of Kadum’s current interest in the Wave or ours in him.

The offensive line is another area where we have offered a boatload of kids- over 40 from out of state by my count-- and have only a couple who are unsigned. But I think only one might be worth signing. He is William Rogers, 6’4” and 305# , from Hampton, Ga. His team went 7-5 this year in Class 6A, which is the second highest classification in the state. Thus, he probably faced pretty tough competition. He played both ways for his team and has a number of P5 offers including BC, West Virginia, Illinois, and Missouri. I have no idea if any of them or us, for that matter, are still pursuing him, but I like what I see of highlights.

Looking at the “best available” players we’ve offered from out of state, I really like the linebacker from Starkville, MS, Zach Edwards, who made an official visit in December. He has received numerous P5 offers from schools like LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, and Mississippi State. How many remain intact is anyone’s guess. He visited Tulane with a couple of other high school teammates so he may have been “along for the ride,” and his interest may not be what it might appear. But his highlights are special and, after a QB and OL, I’d take him in a “heartbeat.”

I also really like Tyler Scott, the DB from Florida who has been linked to Tulane for several months but is uncommitted and unsigned by anyone. He’s received a whole bunch of P5 offers but remains unclaimed. To me, he’s in the same class of defender as Louisianan’s Bertrand Carrell and Tyrone Lewis. If we get another DB, I’d take any of the three without hesitation.

Obviously there are many more excellent, unsigned players across the country and some will find out in the next 2-3 weeks that their options are closing down rather dramatically, including some who consider Tulane a “fall back” but have waited too long. We’ll probably sign someone none of us have heard of and may not sign anyone any of us have considered. It’s what makes recruiting fun, at least to me. You can make all kinds of assumptions, look at all the ratings, review all the highlights, and still have no idea what a kid is thinking or what a coach, with much more information, may intend. We’re a month away from becoming a great deal more knowledgeable.

Roll Wave!!

Reactions: highwave
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News