ADVERTISEMENT

Quote board: Tulane loses 17-7 in elimination game to UC Irvine

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
The most lopsided loss in Tulane's postseason history was not the way they wanted the season to end, but Tulane just did not have good enough pitching to compete with the likes of Oregon State and UC Irvine, which is the Wave's kryptonite: Jay Uhlman was not allowed to talk after the game today as per NCAA rules when a coach gets ejected, so Anthony Izzio subbed for him along with Teo Banks and Brady Marget.

IZZIO on what makes UC Irvine lineup so difficult:

'Credit to Ben Orloff and what those guys have done with that offense. They are old and they have played together for a long time and they feed off of each other and do things at the plate. They don’t chase and they have a good idea of what their approach should be at the plate. They made us work all day today. Our guys were trying to be competitive as well and going for it. That’s seven games we’ve played them, and their approach has been one of the best I’ve ever called pitches against for sure.”

IZZIO on huge increase in wins from last year to this:

“At the end of the day it’s about these players. It’s about what they bring to the table every day and how hard they work. I’ve got two perfect examples up here next to me that I’m thankful just to be sitting next to them. I have two boys at home, and the fact of the matter is all they talk about is Brady Marget and Teo Banks and their walk-out songs and they’re 5 and 2 (years old). For the program to have an example of these two young men next to me but also the other 38 guys we have in the dugout, we’ve got the right people from the right families and I think the future of the program is bright. We just have to continue to keep chipping away at it and get to the ultimate goal, which is to try to get to Omaha.”

BANKS on being down 6-3 with bases loaded in sixth inning:

“Our word this late in the season has been belief, and that’s kind of just what we have. Just keep believing.”

MARGET on his struggles at the plate before today:

“I wasn’t hitting the greatest in the earliest games, but I tried not to bring that into today. All that was in the past. I was just trying to take it pitch by pitch and game by game. Today I felt a little better. I got some good barrels.”

MARGET on season:

“I’m really proud of this team and this coaching staff. We’ve become a really tight-knit group, and it’s been an honor and a privilege to be able to compete with these guys day in and day out. It was just a really fun year and I’m really proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish this year.”

BANKS on season:

“The same what Brady said. One thing I loved about this team and this coaching staff was that we just kept going when it was really rough. That’s almost better than winning at times, just keep going.”

MARGET on Uhlman being ejected:

“Yeah, there was a little frustration. It kind of lit a little fire in us, trying to get us hyped up. Stuff like that happens, and it’s important not to think too much about all those external factors like the umpires or all that other stuff and just stay within our approach and within our mentality and just keep going from there.”

MARGET on his future and draft:

"If all that happens, it happens. I’m still thinking. Except right now I’m just thinking about this team and thinking about this season we’ve had and celebrating that. If that happens, it happens. If not, (voice trails off).”

BANKS on his future and draft

“Kind of the same what he said. I’m just taking it day by day. I’m not really thinking too much about it.”

MARGET on direction of program:

“I feel really good about it. We have a lot of confidence in these coaches and just overall our teammates as a whole. We’ve made a jump forward to getting back-to-back regionals, and next year we have bigger goals and hopefully look to do some more damage in the postseason.”

IZZIO on Billy Price being taken out early:

“What Billy’s been able to accomplish since he’s put on the Olive and Blue is special. His family, all those type things. In the game like today, where it’s an elimination game and you’ve got guys that you haven’t used, you trust them just as much. Nothing in particular just as much as I liked the matchup to go to Carter right there. That’s pretty much it, but I get emotional up here talking about Billy and just kind of what he means to me and what he’s overcome throughout his life is just a lot bigger than the game of baseball. I wouldn’t have started anybody else in an elimination game against a really good opponent other than him if I had a chance today with him being available.”

IZZIO on Michael Lombardi making clutch pitches to keep Wave in game:

“Mike competed really well. He gave us a chance, some momentum swings right there in those middle innings of the game. That’s what you’re going to get out of him. He’s going to compete on the offensive side and on the mound. I couldn’t have asked for any more out of him and what he was giving us in the middle part of the game just to keep us in it and having an opportunity in the later innings.”

MARGET on rainy conditions:

“We’re not really thinking about it too much. We’re still playing baseball. The weather is the weather. There’s nothing you can do about it, so I don’t think it really changed much of how we went about this game.”

BANKS on rainy conditions:

“It was just sprinkling. It was all right.”

UC IRVINE COACH BEN ORLOFF on offense:

“Once you get in the loser’s bracket, you’ve got to be able to win a game on offense when it’s required. Tulane’s had a really good year. Coach Uhlman and what they’ve done there, maybe the second largest win difference between last year and this year, those guys had a heck of a year, so for us to win on offense and be able to save some pitchers for tonight was huge.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.