ADVERTISEMENT

Offseason Topics

thundercleetz

Green Ripple
Nov 28, 2022
Since Guerry is on vacation, baseball season is over, and football hasn’t started yet, there are a couple of interesting topics I am curious to get thoughts on.

1. Former Colorado State AD Jack Graham brought up the possibility of a P/E funded best of G5 conference. P/E would encompass all financial aspects of the conference, distribution payout, NIL/player salaries, TV negotiations, sponsorships, possibly negotiations with the CFP, etc. Tulane was mentioned as a name alongside Oregon State, Washington State, San Diego State, Boise State, CSU, Air Force, Army, Navy and UConn. That got me thinking, how would this work? Here are my thoughts:

- Conference would be football only
- Conference is only viable if it has CFP access. To get CFP access, there needs to be a unique structure or feature that elevates the conference. Maybe this sort of conference could be a first mover to get CFP access and shutout the rest of the G5 entirely.
- My idea of a 16 team national conference with 8 conference matchups, and a conference tournament of the top four teams. NFL style league where every game matters. Winner goes to CFP playoff.
- Some sort of incentive to schedule Power 4 matchups.
- Schools chosen for the conference would be some combination of football budget/willingness to spend, program history/brand awareness, local market size and attendance, and a minimum academic credential that university presidents would want to associate with each other.
- The 16 schools I would choose are: West: Oregon State, Washington State, Boise State, SDSU, Colorado St, Air Force, UTSA, Rice. East: Army, UConn, Navy, Tulane, Temple, USF, ECU, Memphis. Top two schools from each division make conference tournament.

Since this is a football only conference, Tulane would obviously need to find a home for its remaining sports. Southland Conference (along with Rice and UTSA in my scenario) would be the obvious choice. IMO, if the financials on the football only P/E national conference made sense, the rest of the sports in the Southland is not a bad idea. The AAC has become a 1 at-large bid league in baseball and basketball as is. Tulane would be able outspend other schools in the Southland to maintain a competitive advantage, save travel costs and gain back a regional aspect.

What does everyone think?

2. What’s going on with the IPF/bubble? I wonder if Sumrall told DH the football team wouldn’t use it much and not bother. I think it is obvious that the football team use wouldn’t be much, but I always saw the IPF/bubble as more space for the entire department. Other sports would get good use out of the space and upgraded turf for workouts, which in turn gets them out of football’s way on the rest of the campus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News