ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft preview

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
From years of experience, I've learned to always go with the lower projections for players not expected to go in the first round, so I will be surprised if Parry Nickerson or Ade Aruna are taken before the third day of the draft and really before the fifth round.

Nickerson is generally projected as going anywhere from high in the fourth round to the sixth round. I like his ball skills, athletic ability and work ethic, but NFL teams will shy away from him before the third day because of his size and their concern about his ability to tackle.

Here are a few projections and assessments of Nickerson:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/parry-nickerson?id=32462018-0002-5602-3562-0e03f4de4e49

http://draftanalyst.com/ranking?position=CB&year=

http://walterfootball.com/draft2018CB.php

Ade Aruna is a good guy and a hard worker. I really hope he proves me wrong, but I've seen nothing to indicate he should be drafted or will have an NFL career. He just doesn't have the instincts of an NFL player and is too easy to push in the wrong direction. The good news is my opinion means absolutely nothing and there is a real chance an NFL team has fallen in love with his measurables and will take a chance on him in the fifth round, giving him a shot to show what he can do.

Here is the NFL.com assessment of his strengths and weaknesses. a couple of projections and an interesting Q&A he did with usatoday.com:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ade-aruna?id=32462018-0002-5601-26b9-e47c2ccf5aa8

http://draftanalyst.com/ade-aruna

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/defensive-ends/

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018...mising-sleeper-among-this-years-pass-rushers/

Dontrell HIlliard is considered a 7th-round possibility but likely will go undrafted. He will sign as a free agent somewhere, and then it will be up to him to do what Rob Kelley and Orleans Darkwa did. Not getting drafted is not the end of the world.

I talked to all three guys at Tulane's Pro Day and never transcribed them until today. Here are those interviews. Nickerson and Aruna were group interviews. Hilliard was by myself.

NICKERSON

On primary goal at Tulane Pro Day:

"I just wanted to prove to those guys that I have what it takes. I didn’t do as much at the combine, so I just wanted to come out here and put on a good performance for them. I know what I’m capable of. I know what I can do. A lot of teams were blown away about my 40 results (at the NFL combine) They wanted to see more of my lateral movement drills, and I did good in all those."

On how hard it is to perform under that much pressure:

"I don’t think it’s hard at all. You have to know what you want and then go and get it."

On expectations in draft:

"It’s all a big business, but it doesn’t matter what team gets me. Wherever I go I’m going to do what I’ve been destined to do. Wherever they need me, I’ll play wherever they need me. I just want to show a team that I have what it takes."

On what round hopes for:

"I really think first three rounds, but it doesn’t matter. As long as I get my foot in the door, I’m going to do the rest."

On whether he was faster at combine than on field in games (not my question):

"I have game clips that match my 40 speed. The speed speaks for itself on and off the field."

What needs to improve:

"Physically the big thing was getting my weight up. I weighed in at the combine at 182 and weighed in at the all-star game at 178. That’s steady improvement. I’m headed in the right direction."

How prepared:

"I was back at Tulane a lot. I was training with Derrick Joseph and I spent a couple of weeks in Florida after the combine doing recovery work at XB. All that is leading up to today."

On how hurt hamstring at NFL combine:

"Running very fast on the 40.”

Tulane overlooked:

"Tulane is overlooked by the big schools. I’m just happy to be here. Together as a team we are doing a great thing for Tulane."

On playing nickel in NFL:

"A player that knows all the positions is a very valuable player. Me learning nickel would give me an advantage because I could play nickel and outside corner."

On motivation:

"I was at the combine and just looking at those guys perform and in my head, I was just thinking I know I can do similar if not better than those guys. I have a chip on my shoulder."

On showing speed at Tulane:

"I was always taught never quit on a play, so those examples will help me. (sophomore year fumble caused). I have a play where the SMU quarterback took off and I stopped him before he scored."

ARUNA

On what he needed to do at Pro Day:

"I don’t think I need to show anybody anything. The one thing I need to improve on is just being a student of the game. I’ve only been playing five or six years and sometimes that shows up in the game. That’s the only thing I need to improve on."

On switch to 3-4 making it tough for him in senior year:

"Not really. Last year was my last year playing at Tulane and I just wanted to go a bowl game and I wanted to change the culture. To me every year I learned new stuff. It was a challenge for me and I didn’t shy away from it. I just learned from it and kept going. It was not about me. It was about the team. I wanted us to go to a bowl game, so any scheme the coaches think is going to get us better to be able to win more games, I’m all in for it. It wasn’t ever about me."

On what did teams want to know about you at combine:

"They just wanted to know how I can read the offense. Do I know what I’m doing? If it’s 4-3 and I have the tight end on my side, what am I supposed to do? What’s my alignment? They want to make sure I know how to play defensive end. There’s so much you’re doing, playing first down and playing second down and third down, go get the quarterback. That’s about it."

What scouts told him:

"They just told me keep going, keep learning more about the game and don’t ever shy away. You see anything that’s overwhelming, just learn. That’s what all the scouts and all the coaches who have been talking to me are saying."

What did to prepare:

"I worked with Keith Millard. I was training out in California. I left January 1st and came here two days ago. It really helped me a lot to learn from somebody that was a Hall of Famer from the Vikings. It was really fun and good."

Draft expectations:

"I don’t have an idea but I just hope that anybody will look at the way I’ve grown this year. All I want is the opportunity. I don’t care what round it is. What you see is not what you get when it comes to me, so I’m just positive and hopeful that someone will take a chance on me."

HILLIARD

What time did you run:

What did you want to prove today:

I just had to come out and play and let everybody know that I’m a complete back and can really come out and play with anybody. I can catch, run routes and I have speed.

On how much Tulane tape will help:

"I feel I came out today and really caught some eyes, so now they have to go back and see me play and they want to see me play. I feel I did a good job today."

On shoes causing him to slip a few times during drills:

"I just got them. They are not good in this turf. I didn’t come out here and try them out, and they were the only pair I brought, so that’s why I was kind of frustrated."

On feedback from NFL scouts:

"It’s been good. Everybody said they liked me. They like my attitude about everything and how I go about my daily deeds. I just have to keep working."

On Rob Kelley impact:

:Rod and I talk on a daily basis. We work out together. He keeps us sharp. He lets us know what we are going to get into before we get into it so we have the mental capacity. He really gives us the scoop on everything."

What needed to show them the most:

"I just wanted to show them I could catch. That was the biggest thing, that running backs at Tulane really can catch and showing them I can run. I have a little quick shift in me."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News