ADVERTISEMENT

MLB draft

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
The MLB draft starts tonight with the first two rounds. Rounds 3 through 10 are tomorrow and rounds 11 through 20 are Tuesday.

Tulane has six players who potentially could get drafted, with Chandler Welch the most likely and Teo Banks next. There is a significant drop after that, but the other four from most to least likely are Brady Marget, Colin Tuft, Jackson Linn and Gavin Schulz. If any of them get taken, they almost certainly will leave, although Banks will want decent compensation and the guarantee his final year of college education gets paid because his family wants him to get his Tulane degree. The best-case scenario is losing one of the six. There is a decent chance two will get drafted and maybe three, but I doubt it will be more than that, although the draft is such a crapshoot, you never know. All it take is one team being interested in a player.

in 2021, the first year with the current set-up of 20 rounds, five Tulane players were taken (Burns, Olthoff, Benoit, Gilles (a steal in the 15th round) and Aldrich. The last two years had only one player taken (Hoffman in the 17th round in 2022 and Carmouche in the 15th round in 2023. The day to play close attention will be Tuesday because I don't think any of these guys will go in the first 10 rounds. Monday and Tuesday start at 1 p.m.

As far as I have heard, no productive player has entered the transfer portal. The closest is Ben Romano, who made the shutout-saving leaping grab in right field to end Tulane's victory against Nicholls in the Corvallis regional but wants a bigger role than defensive replacement, which was what he did well for Tulane with only 18 at-bats in 33 games this year. He is leaving with the blessing of the coaching staff.

Tulane has several additions from the portal, getting a couple of catchers in case Tuft is drafted. The biggest name among the others is Grayson Smith, a transfer from Florida who had a rough year (8.00-plus ERA) but was rated the 143 national prospect coming out of high school by Perfect Game. Grad transfer Jackson Emus from Duke is another. He, too, had an ERA above 8.00 after pitching three so-so years at Princeton before arriving at Duke. The third pitcher is Dominic Pieto, a grad transfer who was Long Island's Saturday starter (6.50 ERA but 79 Ks in 72 innings) this year. They also got left-handed USC shortstop KaiKea Harrison, who hit .323 in 62 at-bats as a second-year player. The last one I know about is Theo Bryant, a grad transfer outfielder from Tennessee Tech who hit .265 with 10 home runs and 10 doubles this past year and is protection in case Banks and/or Linn get drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.