ADVERTISEMENT

Men's hoops releases non-conference schedule

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
I already like the Mike Dunleavy era because the shroud of secrecy has been lifted. Inexplicably, Tulane always was one of the last handful of teams in the country to release its non-conference schedule under Ed Conroy. I never figured out what the deal was, and I know it irritated a former basketball SID to no end when the the coaches would have the schedule in hand but refuse to let him release it until some point in August.

As for the actual schedule, getting North Carolina to play in the Smoothie King Center is cool, and playing in a real tournament instead of those artificial ones Tulane signed up for in the past few years is nice. The Wave will play three games in Puerto Rico with first through eighth place determined by results against a good field --Oklahoma, Xavier, Arizona State, Clemson, Northern Iowa (Dannen's old schools), Missouri and Davidson are the other teams in the tournament, with no pairings announced yet.

The rest of the schedule is humdrum but still an improvement on what Tulane usually faced under Conroy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News