ADVERTISEMENT

Linn Batting 9th

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
For some time I’ve thought that one of Coach Uhlman’s worst moves was to bat first Banks and then Linn 9th even after they came out of slumps. I notice the controversy over batting order has now spilled over to other web sites.

I understand that some people argue that the 9th place hitter can be a “2nd leadoff” hitter, essentially making batter #9 and the “true’ leadoff hitter two consecutive “leadoff hitters.” Heck, if that’s a good idea, why not have your 9th place guy bat second, then you have two leadoff hitters at the beginning of, and thoughout, the game.

But to our specific issue. Does Linn qualify as a “leadoff” type hitter? He has the highest slugging percentage and the lowest on-base percentage of any of our nine starters. He also strikes out at a higher rate than any of our starters. That sounds like a mid-lineup guy to me, not someone expected to “set the table” for others. Yeah, he hit a walk off homer from the 9th spot. Glad that happened. But the difference in batting 9th vs 5th for example probably costs a hitter 25-30 at bats over a college baseball season. On Sunday, batting earlier in the lineup his homer might have scored 2, 3, or 4 runs; we certainly had the opportunity, But no-one knows. I personally would bat Linn 5th and put Lombardi 9th. Lombardi is middle of the pack (5th) in on-base percentage and last is slugging percentage. Moreover, he gets the bat on the ball, striking out at a lower rate than anyone but Rasmussen and Marget. Perfect 9-hole hitter in my view.

Anyway, let's beat Oregon State with whoever pitches and whatever lineup Coah Uhlman chooses.

Roll Wave!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News