ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Abraham Last Night

WaveON

Green Breaker
Gold Member
Aug 6, 2008
I watched Tulane QB commit, Jack Abraham, play last night in the Oxford-Starkville high school football game on national TV, which his team lost 20-7. I haven’t seen any official statistics and the “play-by-play” guys didn’t give any. But when I reviewed his play in slow motion today, I had him going 14-27 for 111 yards and 1 INT (a bad overthrow). His numbers should have been much better, because of his 12 incompletions, eight were “out and out” drops in my view. That said, he didn’t throw a pass all night that traveled more than ten yards beyond the line of scrimmage and his longest play was late in the game on 4th and goal from the 27, which gained 26 yards (a yard short) on a “hook and ladder.” I’ve seen him throw long on highlights, but he didn’t try any last night.

He has a very quick “read” and quick release and, based on last night, good but not great accuracy. His highlights and comments about him from coaches would suggest “great” accuracy; just not last night. He is quick in the pocket and was able to avoid the rush to get passes off on several occasions. He only ran once, on an option, and gained three yards. He could probably do more of that but, at least last night, did not. He was sacked one time in which he had no chance. Two defensive ends converged on him before he could even set his feet.

The other issue is his height. I’ve seen him listed at 6’0” and HUDL has him at 6’1.” I doubt both. For example two backs who lined up next to him appeared to be about his height, with one possibly an inch or so taller. According to HUDL, they are 5’10” and 5’11,” so that’s about what I’d guess Abraham is as well. I’m not concerned about that because a lot of very good QB’s have been short of 6’0” (Shaun King for example), but it probably is one reason he’s received relatively little recruiting attention.

I’ve got to be honest; I was a little disappointed in what I saw. I have believed he was a “sure thing” based on highlights and comments I’ve seen about the kid, but I’m now less sure. He didn’t show the “big arm” on long passes, nor the kind of “zip” I’d like to see on 10-15 yard passes, though he had good touch on “check downs” to backs. It’s only one game and I still think the kid has a world of potential. I hope to see at least one more of his games this year to get a better read.

The announcers mentioned his recent offer from California and, at least to me, seemed to infer that "such a better offer" couldn't be ignored. I hope he keeps his commitment to Tulane and gets the kind of guidance and attention he needs during Spring practice. I think he is our only commit slated to check in early.

Roll Wave!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News