ADVERTISEMENT

David Pierce and Hunter Williams quotes following Tulane loss

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Here's what they said in the interview room a few minutes after Boston College eliminated Tulane 6-3 on Sunday night.

PIERCE

"We struggled with J.P. France today as a starter. He's been really good for us but he could not get the ball down early. You have to credit Boston College. They took the breaking balls both times we played them, and they made every play. When we made a mistake with the fastball, they hit it. I credit Boston College and I'm proud of our team for all of our accomplishments all year. Unless you win the national championship, you're going to end with a loss if you're in the postseason."

On infield errors by Stephen Alemais and Hunter Hope that led to three unearned runs:

"It's the second game of a doubleheader and I think we were beat up emotionally, and we had very little time (in between games), less than an hour to get going here. It's hard to regroup. Steph ran the ball up and we just couldn't handle another one. They were very opportunistic the entire weekend."

On the call on Alemais when he tried to get into third and what he thought about Alemais trying to get to third:

"He made the call that he saw. He saw him out and that's what he believed. I thought it was a mistake to try to advance there down by 4, but he's been an aggressive player for us since we've been at Tulane and it's kind of hard to rein him in."

On where the program is:

"It's on the uprise. We have kids who are committed.

On winning regular season championship and beating Ole Miss in hostile environment

"Winning the outright regular season championship, taking another step in a regional and playing in the championship, those are stepping stones. We'd like to have won the regional, but Boston College was better than us today."

How many of the juniors do you expect not to be back:

"The draft is next week and a lot of people will be affected, so I know we'll have some. I'll know more at that time."

WILLIAMS

on what made BC starter effective:

"He mixed up his pitches and his fastball. He made some mistakes and we just didn't capitalize on his mistakes. I thought we barreled a lot of balls today and they didn't fall. He just got us out."

On hitting three home runs in regional:

"I was seeing it pretty well and felt good out there. I wasn't trying to do too much. I was trying to find a way to help the team win, and that's all that matters. It was a tough loss."

On quick turnaround from Utah to Boston College:

"It was tough, but you have to find a way to battle through it. We had like an hour break, which is not much time to recover after being out in the heat all day. We came back and were a little flat at first, and that kind of hurt us and bit us in the end. It's definitely tough. It's not easy to have a big win like that out in the hot weather. Everybody's drained. I know Jake (Rogers) was drained out there, and we had to come back and try to win another game."

On whole year:

"It's been a great experience, but we're not satisified now though. We definitely wanted to win that regional. It was in our grasp almost. We could taste it and then we just couldn't pull it out. We'll be back. That's what we're going to do. We're going to build off this and try to move forward and keep progressing."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News