ADVERTISEMENT

CJ quotes from Thursday

Guerry Smith

Jun 20, 2001
Tulane conducted a walkthrough for the Duke game today instead of regular practice, not even putting helmets on.

Here's what CJ said afterward:

"We needed to just see who was in and out and make those guys award of when we need to substitute. We hadn't done it this year, and it's a week before we play the game so we played a mock game to get through all the situations that we had to. We've been out here about an hour, longer than I wanted to be, but the kids were pretty sharp and for the most part they did what they were supposed. to. Malik (Eugene) was the only one that was a little lazy about it, but everyone else was real good."

How do you feel about the team a week away from the opener?

"I feel really good about the team. The energy is up and they are in very good shape.The mental part we still have to get some stuff cleaned up, but they practiced hard, had a good spring, a good fall. I like what we're doing."

You have seven or eight guys at running back that can contribute at the D1 level.. How do you manage their carries?

"As you know, we're a little bit limited at receiver, so we have some certain guys playing in the slot. We'll get the ball in their hands. All those guys will get some touches. Some games guys will have four or five touches and some games they will have 10 or 11 touches. It just depends on the game."

How do you keep them happy through that?

"I think they understand if you are going to be a successful team, you've got to put winning more than anything. These guys want to win, and we always are reminded about what happened last year (with multiple injuries at running back) when I looked around and I thought I was going to have to get one of you guys to go in the game because we didn't have any running backs."

Badie said recently each running back had a role and a package, making it easier to handle the rotation.

"Once you know your role, and those guys are mature and want to win. They understand when it's their time, they have to go out and perform well."

You have no true freshmen who are slated to start this year even though you like the class. Is that a good thing?

"This will be my first year that we don't have to start a true freshman. The program is getting better. We're getting better and better each year, but I expect these freshmen to make a heavy contribution. They may start depending on what package they are in."

What is the timetable for Kenneth Santa Marina to come back?

"I don't know. I really don't know. I hope he will be back for the game, but it doesn't look like it. We've got to hope. It may be longer than I want it to be. (C.J. said it was an ankle, not a knee, that is hurt)"

Is anything settled at kicker?

"No, but we're going to settle it in the next couple of days."

Tulane is at the bottom end of the AAC in the cost-of-attendance figures that have been released, like a lot of private schools are. Are you concerned it will affect recruiting?

"Not quite as much because the price of education here and some of the benefits we have hear are not included, like you can go anywhere you want to and ride a bus for free. They are not doing those things. It's a give and a take and a tradeoff, and I think the kids kind of understand."

You know opposing schools will try to use the cost of attendance numbers against you.

"They definitely will, but when you line up the benefits that we have, you'd say 'I'll take that.' If I don't have to buy gas and I can go wherever I want to on a bus or a van or a car, I'm telling you, those kids have a chauffeur anywhere you want to go, so that's a benefit. Some of those things we've been doing."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News